Now that Kit Bond is retiring, the 2010 Missouri Senate might turn into a free-for-all.
- Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, who won more votes in 2008 than any other statewide Democratic candidate in Missouri history
- Rep. Russ Carnahan (MO-03)
- Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (MO-05), who formerly served as Mayor of Kansas City
- State Auditor Susan Montee
- Missouri State Rep. Judy Baker, who lost the 2008 race for Missouri’s 9th Congressional District to Blaine Leutkemeyer.
- Former Governor Roger Wilson
- Former Lieutenant Governor Joe Maxwell
- Former Sen. Jim Talent, who lost to Claire McCaskill by 48,314 votes in 2006.
- Former House Majority Leader Roy Blunt (MO-07)
- Former Rep. Kenny Hulshof (MO-09), who lost the 2008 Governor’s race to Jay Nixon by 544,247 votes.
- Former State Treasurer Sarah Steelman, who lost the 2008 Republican Gubernatorial primary to Hulshof by 17,806 votes.
- Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (MO-08)
- Missouri House Speaker Rod Jettison
- Former Missouri House Speaker Catherine Hanaway
In the end, both sides have some very good candidates. Democrats have been strong in Missouri lately–look at McCaskill’s 2006 win over Talent or Nixon’s 2008 victory over Hulshof. Then again, Republicans can comfort themselves with the fact that Obama lost MO by an extremely slim margin, meaning that MO isn’t trending all that blue.