So conservatives are up in arms because Barack Obama hasn’t appointed southerners into his administration.
The problem with that? It’s a lie:
- White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was raised in Alabama.
- U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk is the Mayor of Dallas, Texas.
- Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa Jackson was raised in Louisiana and attended Tulane University.
- Defense Secretary Robert Gates served as the President of Texas A&M University.
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spent 12 years as the First Lady of Arkansas.
So that’s 5 out of 25 high-level administration appointees that have southern roots.
I guess these are the beginnings of the endless fauxtroversies and poutrage that Republicans will drum up for the next four-to-eight years.